Warwickshire residents warning around cowboy gardeners
July 16, 2018
Warwickshire householders are being ripped off by doorstep cowboy gardeners who charge thousands for poor quality work and then illegally dump the garden rubbish they create.
Warwickshire County Council Trading Standards is advising residents not to accept offers of gardening services from unexpected doorstep callers and thoroughly check anyone they are considering employing, for example those who advertise by flyers and cards dropped through the letterbox.
Warwickshire County Councillor Andy Crump, Portfolio Holder for Community Safety said:
“Rogue gardeners know little or nothing about trees and plants and will often just attempt to cut down anything they see before illegally dumping the garden waste, leaving your garden in a worse state than before!”
“You can’t tell a good gardener from a bad one on the doorstep, so consider following our five top tips to achieve a beautiful garden.”
5 top tips on avoiding rogue gardeners
1) Rogue gardeners hide behind false names and addresses. Never buy from the door and always ensure you know where a trader is based before you employ them.
2) Legitimate traders should have public liability insurance to cover any damage they might cause to your property (or your neighbours). This is especially important if you are employing a gardener/landscaper/tree surgeon to trim branches or remove trees.
3) Look for a gardener with a professional qualification. There are many different schemes available, such as NVQ, HND, NPTC and RHS.
4) Seek written quotes from a number of gardening/landscaping businesses before you choose a service.
5) If you’re not sure who to turn to, consider ‘No Rogue Traders Here’, Warwickshire Trading Standards Service’s trusted trader scheme (phone 0800 233 5000), or other recognised schemes.
Warwickshire residents wishing to make a complaint about goods or services they have purchased can do so by contacting Warwickshire Trading Standards via the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline on 03454 04 05 06.
More information about the work of Warwickshire trading standards service is available on the Warwickshire website: https://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/tradingstandards